Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Outside Reading #1
For my first outside reading blog assignment, I chose an article from the October, 2008 National Geographic magazine. The title of the article is listed as "Editor's Note". This article is about how the author grew up near the Pacific Crest National Scenic trail, which is in between California and Oregon. They also describe how they love growing up in the outdoors and being able to go for daily hikes throughout the woods with nothing but a backpack and a camera. Another thing they talk about is the benefits of going hiking, and how hiking would make our society such a better place to live in. They say it would promote exercise, help ease traffic congestion, and decrease pollution. I would have to say that I agree with their views on this. After all, it wouldn't hurt anything. But the thing i really I love about this article is the way they describe the scenery with so much detail, making it seem so majestic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
i lovee outside! i think it would be so much fun to go hiking!
I totally agree that more people should hike or walk instead of driving! save the polar bears!
Hey Dursty,
It's Jeff from the U of M again. So are you much of a hiker? I can't really say that I am. I'm not against it or anything. It's just that in my everyday life I find it hard to set aside time for wilderness walking, which is kind of a shame. I agree with you that it promotes exercise. I was a little confused by your statement that it would decrease pollution. This statement assumes that people are starting and ending their everyday errands in the wilderness, which I don't usually think is the case. But I see what you're getting at... more walking= less driving = less pollution. Have you been to many national or state parks? I have only been to Yellowstone, and that was when I was little kid so I don't remember it that well.
Take care,
Jeff
Hey Dursty,
I don't really have anything from you to respond to so I guess I'll just ask you a series of open-ended questions about your reading. So first of all, what are some of your favorite books? What do you like so much about them? Do you find yourself being drawn to certain genres and/or authors? Do you write for yourself (outside of school)? If so, what do you like to write? I look forward to hearing what you have to say baout this!
Take care,
Jeff
Post a Comment