Monday, October 6, 2008

Siddhartha 1-4

Siddhartha's always been obsessed with religion but lately its gotten out of hand. I heard he told off his dad and went to join the samanas with Govinda. Supposedly they hadn't eaten in weeks until they decided to go to some village where a guy was claiming to be enlightened and preaching sermons to everyone. As if that werent enough, before they left they got in a fight with the head samana when they told him they wanted to quit. I also heard Govinda stayed with the enlightened guy and Siddhartha left. But, they go everywhere together so I dont think its true.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dursty,

My name is Jeff and I am a graduate student at the U of M. So it appears as though you are reading "Siddhartha." I've never read it. How is it so far? It sounds like pretty heavy stuff. From your first sentence, it sounds like you are possibly critical of religion, or at of least people taking it too far. Could you elaborate on what you think it means for someone to take religion "out of hand?" I look forward to reading your future blogs.

Take care,
Jeff